Para-canoe and Para-triathlon in Rio 2016 Paralympic Summer Games
Author: Canadian Paralympic Committee : Contact: paralympic.ca
Published: 2010-12-15 : (Rev. 2015-11-18)
Synopsis and Key Points:
Para-canoe and para-triathlon sports added to the Paralympic Program for Rio 2016 Summer Paralympics.
The Canadian Paralympic Committee welcomes para-canoe and para-triathlon onto the Rio 2016 Paralympic Summer Games program.
The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) Governing Board recently voted to add para-canoe and para-triathlon onto the Paralympic Program for the Rio 2016 Games. This brings the total number of sports for these Games to 22. The Canadian Paralympic Committee congratulates both of these sports on their inclusion and welcomes them into the Paralympic Movement.
"By adding para-canoe and para-triathlon, the IPC has made it possible for more athletes with a disability to compete at a high-performance level and represent their country. It also illustrates that the Paralympic Games continues to grow in size and popularity," said David Legg, "As we work to become the world's leading Paralympic nation, the CPC will be working with these sports and supporting their development in order to field a winning Canadian Paralympic Team at the Rio 2016 Paralympic Summer Games."
"Inclusion of triathlon and canoe into the Paralympic program will be a boost to the sports in Canada, and our continued goal to be amongst the best nations in the world in the Paralympic medal standings," said Anne Merklinger, director of summer sport, Own the Podium. "The recognition of para-triathlon and para-canoe strengthens the country's overall summer Paralympic sport program, and will play a significant role in attracting more Canadians to the sport regardless of age or disability. We look forward to working with Triathlon Canada and CanoeKayak Canada to recruit and develop medal winners for Canada."
Para-canoe and para-triathlon will become a part of the Paralympic Games at the Rio 2016 Paralympic Games, which take place from September 7 to 18, 2016. Until that time the Canadian Paralympic Committee will continue to grow these sports domestically to ensure a winning Canadian Paralympic Team. Having been voted in, para-canoe and para-triathlon join the 20 summer sports already on the program, which include:
"Since making its debut in the Olympic Games in 2000, triathlon has emerged as one of the fastest growing sports at all levels in Canada, and around the world, and there is no question in our mind, it will continue to grow with the induction of Para-Triathlon into the Paralympic lineup," said Alan Trivett, executive director, Triathlon Canada. "On behalf of Canada's entire team of para and able-bodied athletes, we applaud the International Paralympic Committee and we look forward to showcasing our sport to the world, while winning more medals for Canada, in 2016."
"Inclusion onto the Paralympic program is part of CanoeKayak Canada's continuing efforts to keep re-imagining itself to be a more significant and more successful sport," said John Edwards of Ottawa, the chair of the International Canoe Federation's Canoeing For All Committee. "Many members of CanoeKayak Canada have provided leadership in their clubs, provinces and nationally. They deserve an enormous amount of credit for moving this project ahead so quickly."
About the Canadian Paralympic Committee
The Canadian Paralympic Committee is a non-profit, private organization with 46 member sports organizations dedicated to strengthening the Paralympic Movement. The Canadian Paralympic Committee's vision is to be the world's leading Paralympic nation. Its mission is to lead the development of a sustainable Paralympic sport system in Canada to enable athletes to reach the podium at the Paralympic Games. By supporting Canadian Paralympic athletes and promoting their success, the Canadian Paralympic Committee inspires all Canadians with a disability to get involved in sport through programs delivered by its member organizations. For more information, visit www.paralympic.ca
- 1 - Symbols of Ability: Paralympians Record Video Blogs Relating to Rio 2016 Paralympic Games : International Paralympic Committee (IPC) (2016/09/08)
- 2 - Have We Just Witnessed the Greatest Paralympics Ever : Paul Dodenhoff (2016/09/30)
- 3 - Rio 2016 Paralympic Games: List of Athletes to Watch : International Paralympic Committee (IPC) (2016/01/15)
- 4 - Rio 2016 Paralympics Had Over 4.1 Billion TV Viewers : International Paralympic Committee (IPC) (2017/03/16)
- 5 - #FilltheSeats Campaign Helped Many Enjoy the RIO 2016 Paralympics : International Paralympic Committee (2016/09/19)
- 6 - Record Number of Countries to Broadcast Rio 2016 Paralympics : International Paralympic Committee (IPC) (2016/09/06)
- 7 - Rio Paralympic Games Broadcasts: Live Stream from Rio 2016 Paralympics : IPC (2016/08/24)
• Disabled World is strictly a news and information website provided for general informational purpose only and does not constitute medical advice. Materials presented are in no way meant to be a substitute for professional medical care by a qualified practitioner, nor should they be construed as such. Any 3rd party offering or advertising on disabled-world.com does not constitute endorsement by Disabled World.
• Please report outdated or inaccurate information to us.