Making an RV Disability Accessible
- Publish Date: 2009/07/15 - (Rev. 2012/09/16)
- Author: georgelarson
Outline: An RV can be made disability accessible and be equipped with hand controls and lifts.
Main DigestRVing is a great way to see the country and the RV can be made disability accessible so all can enjoy this great past time.
How To Make Your RV Disability Accessible
Each RV is laid out differently but these tips can help you realize that, with a few modifications, the RV can be made user friendly and disability accessible.
Make RV Disability Accessible to Drive
Just like in any vehicle the RV can be equipped with hand controls. Imagine the freedom you will feel when you are driving through the mountains or down an ocean front road. Talk with a mobility accommodations dealer in your area to see if they can install hand controls in your RV.
The driver's seat in an RV is higher than those of vans or mini vans so you may need assistance getting in.
Adaptation to Get Into the RV
There are lifts that can be attached to the outside of the entrance door. The lift can be made to have a chair to sit on while being lifted up to or down from the entrance. Once up there will be a gap between the lift and the floor, due to the stairs. Again, modifications can be made to cover the stairs and allow you to get in to the RV.
Hand Rails to Assist in Getting Around the RV
The hall and bathroom of the RV are both areas that may be difficult to use when mobility is impaired. Install hand rails down the hall and in the appropriate location(s) in the bathroom. Put a shower chair in the bathtub or shower of the RV so that area is disability accessible.
Wherever you need assistance while in the RV be creative and make it disability accessible. RVing should be enjoyed by everyone.
These universal design accommodations will be a great asset, not only for those who are mobility impaired, but also for assistance for everyone. Once you have these handrails and other disability accessible features you will wonder what you did without them.
Reference: Toni Grundstrom (pen name - georgelarson) has been a freelance writer and telecommuter for over 17 years. My goal is to continue to succeed in life while combating MS. I am using my 18 years of marketing experience and writing background to write articles on marketing, disability, and activities I enjoy and interest me. I design and build stained glass creations including stepping stones, garden art, hanging panels and windows for your home.
- 1 - Blind Man to Drive at Daytona Speedway | National Federation of the Blind | 2011/01/28
- 2 - Car Dealerships to Provide Hand Controls for Test Drives for Individuals With Disabilities | Potter Handy | 2017/08/03
- 3 - Turny Evo Assists People with Limited Mobility Enter and Exit Vehicles | Autoadapt | 2012/03/13
- 4 - Safe Driving and Car Modifications for Seniors | 101 Mobility | 2013/03/13
- 5 - GPS Navigation System for Finding Disability Parking Spaces | Disabled World | 2009/02/11
- 6 - Guidosimplex Hand Controls for Drivers with Disabilities | Better Life Mobility | 2014/03/02
- 7 - Hand Controls for Vehicles | Brian Barry | 2009/02/08
- 8 - Peddle Master - Easy to Use Portable Hand Controls for Your Car | Wendy Taormina-Weiss | 2012/01/05
Help Spread Disability AwarenessConnect with Us on Social Media